At Direct Care Assistance, we prioritise the confidentiality and protection of personal information, aligning with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) within the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). It is our commitment that every staff member handling sensitive or personal data adheres to these standards and principles as outlined in this policy.
Direct Care Assistance holds personal information about our team members, identifying them individually. All collected, stored, and utilised information is directly related to the organisation and its operations, encompassing medical details. We treat all employee information as confidential, including but not limited to position appointment, performance, health, contact details, payroll information, and other pertinent data necessary for business operations.
Collection of Personal Information: In collecting information, Direct Care Assistance
- Collect only necessary information for business functions and activities.
- Obtain information lawfully and for legitimate purposes.
- Seek individual consent for using or disclosing information.
- Disclose information as required by legislation or when there is a reasonable suspicion of illegal activity.
- Clearly outline the purpose of collecting information and disclose to whom it may be revealed.
- Acquire information primarily from the individual employee and inform them if gathered through alternative means.
- Notify individuals of consequences for not providing requested information.
- Ensure information is not obtained through unreasonably intrusive avenues.
Use and Disclosure: The use and disclosure of information collected by Direct Care Assistance will be for the primary purpose, except when:
- Information disclosed is related to the primary purpose.
- The individual would reasonably expect the information to be disclosed.
- Individual consents to the information being used or disclosed.
- Information is crucial to preventing threats to life, health, safety, or public health and safety.
- Reasonable suspicion of illegal activity.
- Legislation mandates the disclosure of information.
Direct Care Assistance will record any disclosure of information on an employee’s file where it falls into one of the categories outlined above.
Data Quality: We endeavor to ensure that all information collected is up-to-date, accurate, and complete.
Data Security: Direct Care Assistance upholds information security by:
- Taking reasonable steps to protect information from misuse or loss.
- Implementing measures to prevent unauthorised access or modification.
- Utilising technological security measures to safeguard information.
- Ensuring the secure destruction of information through appropriate avenues.